Monday, May 23, 2011

Lessons learned from a short race

I ran the Buffalo Trace race on Saturday. This is on the same course that I run every Thursday. The Thursday before, I was reduced to walking a good part of the way. I was just beat from running that week, including a Burrito Loco run.

Note for those unfamiliar with the Burrito Loco run. We have moon runs on the Buffalo Trace trail every month under a full moon. We run the course backwards from usual, by moonlight, usually starting around 9 pm. If you bring a light of any kind, you will be ridiculed. We have fun runs at Meadowbrook every Tuesday. If a full moon happens to be on a Tuesday, it's a throwdown for the Burrito Loco. You run to fun run, then hop on over to El Toro II, where you must consume a Burrito Loco and a minimum of two bears, then drive to Mahomet for the moon run. I did not go to El Toro (due to a bathroom remodel at home, I opted to take a shower at my gym, to at least get the first layer of grime off), but I did consume the required two beers.

Okay, so I've gotten complacent about short runs, which to me are now anything less than about 5 miles. Funny how that line gets moved the more you hang out with the Buffalo, our trailrunning group composed mostly of ultrarunners and their peculiar friends. I came in second (age group, of course) last time I ran it , which was year before last. Last year, I sat out due to a calf tear. The woman I was runner-up to was not running it this year. Plus, a herd member threatened to nickname me Baseball if I didn't beat a certain runner, whose nickname is Slugger (as in Louisville). So I did want to run it. But still, I did not prepare properly.

Here's how: For breakfast, I had coffee and fresh pineapple. That's it.

I ran a fast pace in the beginning and I thought I'd lose it, but it felt comfortable and I kept it up until... mile 4.5 or so, finish line practically in sight, crowd noise crystal clear. My friend B. had already passed me about half a mile ago and was going to take first. That was never a doubt. But then I heard heavy female breathing down my neck. Convinced I was going to be saddled with the shame of being called Baseball, I picked up the pace. Alas, it was too early to do so, as I would find out. I began to heave with every step. I slowed it down only to be passed by someone decades younger than I. I should have run my race on my own terms. Things were getting worse and I had to come to a complete halt, bend over, and puke my brains out. Coffee and pineapple.

"As I lay dying," at least eight people passed me, including --- no doubt --- the woman who would take second. I took third and retained my non-nickname.

Lessons learned (I hope): Run the race on my own terms at my own pace. Kick it up only when close to the finish (I'm still figuring out the equation involving the variables p=pace, t-zero=time to start running faster, n-heave=number of heaves per set distance, t-puke=time to puke, d=distance to finish line). Eat smart: standard carb breakfast (bread) with low acid fruit (banana) and less coffee. Adjust attitude: Running a short distance is a big deal if you run it faster than you're used to, and just because you run a course every week doesn't mean you know anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment